As I sit in my Georgetown office with a cup of coffee on this crisp fall morning, my phone beeping every few minutes with a new call, text, or social media note wishing me a happy birthday, I am happy, grateful, and excited. Today is my 40th birthday, and it feels fabulous and free.
I have so many reasons to be grateful.
I work in an industry that makes people feel better about themselves, surrounded by team members that I have the privilege of coaching and mentoring. My skin care brand is growing in sales and visibility, I am working with my sisters on a new spa project in Lausanne, and I contribute to my husband’s family business. Thank you for the opportunity to do work I love, which often doesn’t feel like work.
I am surrounded by girlfriends who help me be my best self. I am in a four-person accountability group who weekly keeps me focused on the right things, working on the right things. I am in the most amazing book club where we discuss the books we read, and also life, love, marriage, children, and more. I have girlfriends who take me to Wizards games on my birthday eve, I have girlfriends who come with me to SoulCycle at 6 am on my birthday morning. Thank you for your friendship.
I have a husband who understands me like no one else does. He understands that today, I wanted to wake up in my own bed, alone. He understands I need solitude and quiet time by myself. He understands living together in the traditional way husbands and wives do would not work for me. He understands I don’t want children and love being a step-mom to his son and a godmother to five amazing kids. And he respects those desires, embraces them. Thank you for your unconditional love.
I can’t remember what I used to think it would be like to be 40. But I never thought it would feel this good.
As I look forward to this next decade and beyond, I am reminded of the advice and notes of a few people.
- One’s career peaks around 42. I can’t wait to test that theory!
- Your forties feel free. I can already feel it…
- Your body changes. Embrace it, accept it, and adjust your strategies as need be. This I need to work on.
- Your eyes will start to see things differently. Yep, my driver’s license now says I need glasses to drive.
- Add a retinol serum to your routine and spend one more minute on your beauty routine. Luckily I am testing a retinol formulation for Alchimie and more time with my skin care products has never been a problem!
If you have any words of wisdom about embracing this 4th decade, please comment below!