Our Alchimie Forever marketing calendar says that April is the month of Calm. As in calm skin, and calm spirit.
Calm skin. April is National Rosacea Awareness month. Those who suffer from rosacea know this is the antithesis of calm. Red, angry, irritated, uncomfortable, are words that describe rosacea skin; calm is not. Helping to calm your skin looks like this:
- Avoid triggers. These will vary somewhat individually: heat, alcohol, spice, and more.
- Protect your skin. From the sun (always), but also from the cold and the wind.
- Treat your skin gently. Avoid harsh products, cleansers and otherwise. Look for anti-inflammatory ingredients. Remember that less is more.
- When all else fails, apply makeup to cover up the red. I so rarely recommend makeup other than for color… but sometimes it really is necessary.
- Your dermatologist is your friend. Listen to his / her recommendations, follow his / her prescriptions, trust the expert.
Calm spirit. Is there a calm spirit month? This is the time of year when my spirit is the antithesis of calm. Tired, overwhelmed, irritated, uncomfortable, are words that describe an agitated spirit; calm is not. Helping to calm my spirit looks like this:
- Avoid triggers. I know what mine are, I trust you know yours.
- Protect my energy. Be more quiet. Spend more time in nature (as I write from the gardens of Salamander Resort & Spa).
- Treat myself gently. Sleep more, drink less, exercise more. Cancel appointments (responsibly).
- When all else fails, smile until I make it. A Saturday with absolutely zero commitments is 3 days away. Tinos is 64 days away…
- My therapist is my friend. For me, that means my massage therapist… thank you Brian!
Calm – of skin and spirit!