As many of you know, this past summer I was nominated as one of the top 5 Emerging Entrepreneurs by Entrepreneur Magazine. For three months, I and four other eager entrepreneurs asked, cajoled, enticed, people to vote for us. A few days before Christmas, I received a press release from Entrepreneur Magazine announcing that the winner on the Emerging Entrepreneur awards was Kelly Girard, founder and CEO of Clean Air Lawn Care.
I love the 31st of December. It is the promise of a New Year, of endless possibilities, of a clean slate. To me, it is a bit like Friday night – the week-end is ahead but has not yet started. And, of course, December 31st is the day to make New Year’s resolutions. At the end of every year, millions of us (50% of Americans, actually!) resolve to live better, be better, and abandon our vices.
From Entrepreneur Magazine, December 2009, here are a few New Year’s resolution factoids:
– 99% jump in web visits to Weight Watchers in January, more than in any other month
– 1 million boxes of smoking cessation gum, lozenges, and ptaches sold in January 2008
– 42% jump in traffic on career sites in January
– 12% of gym memberships are sold in January, more than in any other month
My list of goals (I like that word better than resolution) for 2010, both personal and professional, is long. You can read about some of them on Inc.com (nice to end the year with a homepage photo!). Others include reading more; taking up running again; and for a third year in a row (is there an expiration date for goals?), learning to play pool!
Whatever your goals for 2010 may be, I wish you a New Year filled with happiness, success, and beauty!
Last night I had a debate with my dear friend Kelly about tights. Or stockings, however you prefer to call them. I love dresses and skirts year round, but I hate tights. So in the winter, my legs are always cold. She was telling me about fabulous cashmere thigh highs… I might have to try those.
Our conversation made me think about legs, and then of course my mind wandered to products, as it always does. And I realized that I use 4 Alchimie Forever products on my legs and feet! While you might think about taking care of your legs during the summer, if you are like me and don’t like tights then you might want to think about them during the winter also. After all, ’tis the season for holiday parties and short cocktail dresses.
A girlfriend of mine (who shall remain nameless so as not to completely spoil the surprise) is eloping the day after Thanksgiving. She told me she wanted to have something fantastic to remember 2009 by. Indeed, many of us would rather forget about 2009 alltogether. As she was telling me about her plans, I started to think about all the great things that happened this year, positive things that I should be grateful for and that make up for the economy…
It seems particularly appropriate to think about this during this holiday week. So here goes. I encourage you all to make your own list and celebrate 2009.
I am thankful for:
1. The birth of the first Polla grandchild, my niece Sasha.
2. The new Alchimie Forever showroom located in the heart of Georgetown.
3. My new apartment, also in Georgetown, with its hardwood floors and wood-burning fireplace.
4. The fact that I can walk to work!
5. My first experience with live TV.
6. My first Mardi Gras spent in New Orleans, “the city that care forgot.”
7. My first trip to the wine country.
8. The launch of our newest product, Superpulse Tightening Eye Contour Gel for Men.
9. The new Alchimie Forever clients who brought our line in to their spas and boutiques despite the current climate.
10. The existing Alchimie Forever clients who still trust and support us and make everything else possible.